15/10/2012

Walt Disney World Funnel Cake Review

Funnel Cake with Powdered Sugar

I had often walked past the Funnel Cake stand in Epcot and smelt the enticing aroma of cooked dough reminding me of doughnuts. But it wasn't doughnuts, it was this, a plate sized squiggly dough concoction. During my last trip to Walt Disney World I had to get a Funnel Cake to share with my boyfriend. We opted for the powdered sugar topped Funnel Cake, but you can have it plain, covered in sugar, drizzled in chocolate or topped with fruit.
Being English I had to research what Funnel cake was, so I have summarised it here for anyone like me who wants to know its origins, from Wikipedia. 'Funnel cake or funny cake is a regional food popular in North America at carnivals, fairs, sporting events, and seaside resorts. Funnel cakes are made by pouring batter into hot cooking oil in a circular pattern and deep frying the overlapping mass until golden-brown. When made at concession stands, a pitcher with an integral funnel spout is employed. Funnel cakes are typically served plain with powdered sugar, or with jam, cinnamon, Nutella, fresh fruit, or other toppings. In North America, funnel cakes were originally associated with the Pennsylvania Dutch region.'

You certainly have to be hungry to polish the entire thing off by your self, but it's the perfect size to share with someone else after a long day walking around the World Showcase. I found the Funnel Cake to be very sweet in a good way but not greasy like I was worried it would be. The powdered sugar on top made it soft and slightly sticky to eat, it made quite a mess, but that makes it fun. It reminded me of freshly made doughnuts bought from the seaside, deep-fried indulgence. Its certainly something I couldn't eat all the time, it's a treat, because when you are on holiday you don't have to count the calories. Its been a year since I went to Walt Disney World, I don't really find myself craving Funnel Cake, because as I said I can go to the seaside for doughnuts and they will taste the same, but there's something about having it sat in Epcot, people watching, that makes it special. I think that's what Walt Disney World does to everything, it makes everything magical. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment