02/10/2012

Honey Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream


This cupcake was inspired by a lovely honey cupcake recipe I saw on anncoo journal. I decided to swap the whipped cream topping with a honey buttercream because I knew my cupcakes wouldn't be eaten straight away, and I didn't want the whipped cream to spoil or melt. I will write the recipe down for you here, but if you would rather have the whipped cream frosting just follow the link to the anncoo journal I pasted earlier. My cupcakes have been topped with crushed Graham Crackers, because I had some left from my American cupcakes and I felt the slightly salty taste of the Graham Crackers would complement the honey in the cake and buttercream.

Honey Cupcakes
Makes 10
125 grams butter softened
110 grams caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey
2 eggs
185 grams plain flour (sieved with baking powder)
1 tsp baking powder
125 ml milk


  1. Preheat oven to 170'C/325'F/Gas Mark 3.
  2. Line a cupcake tin with 10 cases.
  3. Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and honey in a bowl until creamy.
  4. Gradually add the eggs until combined.
  5. Add the flour, baking powder and milk alternately and beat until combined.
  6. Fill cases 3/4 of the way full.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown on top and springy to the touch.
Honey Buttercream

115 grams unsalted butter
60 grams honey
280 grams icing sugar
2 tbsp milk

  1. Cream the butter and honey together in a large bowl until it is light and fluffy.
  2. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until creamy. 
  3. Gradually add remaining sugar slowly while beating, until the buttercream is think.
  4. Use the milk to thin out the buttercream if necessary. 
  5. I decorated my cupcakes with crushed Graham Crackers to complement the honey flavour.


No comments:

Post a Comment